Supervising Social Worker - Streetwork, Manhattan
Streetwork Project is the oldest street outreach program for homeless and street-involved youth in New York City. The program has grown from its beginnings in 1984 as a storefront project to encompass both outreach and comprehensive harm reduction services. Streetwork’s programs are innovative outreach-counseling programs for homeless youth, which uses a harm reduction and client centered approach . Services include counseling, HIV prevention, case management, drop-in, daily living services, meals, groups, legal services, outreach services, mental health and medical. The core service is long-term, one-on-one counseling, which is offered in a non-judgmental and holistic manner utilizing a harm reduction and client centered approach that focuses on building trust, fostering self-esteem, exploring options and choices, and empowering youth to change their high-risk behaviors.
· Learn and integrate a trauma-informed, client-centered approach, using an anti-oppressive lens, into your work with clients. Coach and guide staff in their client practice that reflects these approaches. Participate in the recruitment, hiring and onboarding of new staff.
· Provide in-house individual and group psychotherapy, including crisis intervention and emergency assessments;
. Provide supervision and oversight to Manager Outreach and Outreach component
· Advocate for clients in the mental health system, including preparation of psychosocial reports;
· Enhance the clinical component by strengthening staff’s ability to assess mental health needs;
· Conduct weekly one-hour individual supervision with staff to ensure quality of direct clinical services;
· Co-facilitate weekly group clinical case conferencing;
· Participate in weekly supervision;
. Participate in staff process and meetings with Outreach Team
· Coordinate with Outreach Manager in developing scheduling and assessment around professional development for staff.
Secondary Job Functions:
· Establish linkages with external mental health providers;
· Conduct quarterly review of client charts;
· Support the oversight of daily program activities;
· Perform client escorts and visits;
· Participate at staff trainings, staff meetings, and staff group process workshops;
Interacts with: Streetwork Uptown Site
- Three (3) years experience providing clinical supervision and individual therapy — preferably with at-risk youth required.
- Experience with youth and/or homeless population, utilizing harm reduction philosophy preferred.
- Masters in social work
If hired, I agree to abide by all of Safe Horizon’s rules and regulations, and understand that, if employed, my employment may be terminated with or without cause, and with or without notice, at any time, at the option of either the company or me. I further understand that no representation, whether oral or written by any representative or agent of the organization, at any time, constitutes a contract of employment
AmeriCorps, Peace Corps and other national service alumni are encouraged to apply
Please follow this link to view complete EEO Law and complaint filing information: