Residential Specialist DV Shelter Parrish, Manhattan
Summary: The Safe Horizon DV Shelter Program provides safe and confidential spaces for DV Survivors and their children. We are committed to providing these services with empathy, compassion, professionalism, non-judgement, and respect. Our spaces respect survivors’ right to self-determination and focus on giving families and individuals the space, both emotional and physical, to heal from the victimization and trauma they have experienced.
Residential Specialists are engaged in maintaining a safe, secure, healing and orderly environment in Safe Horizon’s residential facilities.
· Learn and integrate a trauma-informed, client-centered approach, using an anti-oppressive lens, into your work with clients.
- Access immediate safety needs and develop a risk management plan during intake of shelter placement calls;
- Using neutral and non-judgmental language when responding to the needs and requests of residents;
- Provide crisis intervention including mediation and de-escalation skills to diffuse situations between residents’ family members and/or roommates;
- trainings to improve client centered practice skills and knowledge about self-care and vicarious trauma and its impact;
- Planning, implementing and/or researching self-care and other social activities for residents and their children;
- Actively participating in donor tours and helping with special client events and holiday parties;
- Conducting regular health and safety facility checks;
- Understanding and following emergency procedures, including fire procedures;
- Sorting and organizing donations of food, clothing, starter kits, etc.;
- Distributing supplies to residents in accordance with established guidelines and/or emergency requests from residents;
- Enter activity log information, shift notes and CMS, in a timely fashion and accurate manner;
- Assisting with bed utilization by helping with apartment preparation and cleaning; moving client belongings, etc.
- Providing childcare as requested by residents or staff in accordance with written policies;
- Providing client accompaniment to important appointments when requested;
· Performs other related duties as assigned.
High School Diploma/GED and two years relevant experience Computer skills a plus.
If hired, I agree to abide by all of Safe Horizon’s rules and regulations, and understand that, if employed, my employment may be terminated with or without cause, and with or without notice, at any time, at the option of either the company or me. I further understand that no representation, whether oral or written by any representative or agent of the organization, at any time, constitutes a contract of employment
AmeriCorps, Peace Corps and other national service alumni are encouraged to apply