Program Assistant - Child Advocacy Center, Queens
Safe Horizon’s Child Advocacy Center plays a critical, front-line role in responding to child sexual abuse and severe physical abuse by providing a coordinated and collaborative approach to the investigation of such cases, while ensuring that victims receive immediate, effective support.
The Program Assistant is the first point of contact for all children and families entering the CAC. The Program Assistant will welcome and orient every child and non-offending family members to the CAC and immediately link the family to the appropriate CAC service providers. The Program Assistant plays a critical role in creating an environment that is safe, welcoming and upholds the core values and mission for the CAC.
- Learn and integrate a trauma-informed, client-centered approach, using an anti-oppressive lens, into your work with clients, staff and members of the CAC multidisciplinary team.
- Welcome all visitors and orient them to the site/space
- Actively manage the experience of clients, visitors, partners and staff
- Answers and directs telephone calls, faxes and mail directed to department of site;
- Enters data into CMS, the CAC’s case tracking database;
- Performs administrative and clerical office duties including report preparation; administering petty cash, metro cards and parking garage vouchers; processing payment requests;
- Assists the Administrative Coordinator in supervising reception area volunteers;
- Straightens up the playroom, interview/observation rooms and counseling rooms at the end of every day
- Other program related duties as necessary
Interacts with : CAC visitors, clients, Multidisciplinary team consisting of child protection specialists, police detectives, pediatricians, prosecutors and Safe Horizon staff.
- High school equivalency or high school diploma
- Foundation computer skills (e.g. data entry, internet use, email communications)
- Interpersonal work experience in a fast-paced environment such as human service, customer service or related field a plus.
- Desire to engage with children and families impacted by violence and trauma
Bilingual in English and Spanish strongly preferred. Must be willing to work nights.
If hired, I agree to abide by all of Safe Horizon’s rules and regulations, and understand that, if employed, my employment may be terminated with or without cause, and with or without notice, at any time, at the option of either the company or me. I further understand that no representation, whether oral or written by any representative or agent of the organization, at any time, constitutes a contract of employment
AmeriCorps, Peace Corps and other national service alumni are encouraged to apply
Please follow this link to view complete EEO Law and complaint filing information: